Thursday, September 12, 2013

Evaluations

The past two days Libby has had 3 of the appointments I mentioned in the last post. She's been such a trooper, but Mama Me couldn't leave her sight... not even for a second (you bet I LOVE it!). Libby Rose was evaluated for speech, occupational, and physical therapies to see if she would qualify for the special needs preschool program at school. She should have no trouble qualifying. :)

Libby's speech therapist was impressed with her new signs and how clear she was saying the words she knows. I'm so proud! She said that after the tubes go in at the end of October we should see major improvements! WOOHOO!!!!

Libby's occupational therapist was also impressed with the range of motion in her left arm and leg. She basically said the exact opposite of what Dr. Doofus said. Libby even took 2 steps to me! I love that during both sessions yesterday, the therapists gave me homework. Being the nerdy mommy that I am, we practiced some as soon as we got home. Libby is such a hard worker! She was asking "mowoah peesh" after we did some stretching exercises!

Today was physical therapy, and it was amazing! She looked over all the braces that Libby has had throughout her 3 years (you go Hong Kong!), and she taught me how to put on her leg/feet braces and the brace for her left arm. She was also impressed with Libby's range of motion, how well she sits up, stands up, her flexibility, etc. Libby will most likely be getting a gait trainer (a walker like for elderly just reversed). The gait trainer plus the braces will have our little girl walking in a few months. When the PT told me this, I couldn't hold my tears in y'all. It was the kind of cry where you're so stinkin' happy that you laugh. Libby Rose has accepted that I'm nuts, but the poor PT probably didn't know what to think! HA! She ended the session by giving more things to work with Libby Rose on while at home.

I'm incredibly thankful for the three fabulous therapies Libby is going to get and for the wonderful ladies who will help her progress as much as possible. Next week, we have her qualification meeting, and I'm eager to see what goals are made for her IEP. I know she'll kick some serious hiney!!!

When I think back to the things happening 8 years ago when I was trying to get a good job in the system I so badly wanted to teach at, I'm amazed at how things worked out. I was crushed that I wasn't hired there, but I quickly learned that God had better plans for me. That meant a move over the mountain and a new hometown for our family of 2. At that point, the thought of having children was far from our minds. It wasn't far from God's mind though. He knew that we would adopt a precious little girl who would need amazing teachers and therapists that could help her with her special needs. I believe and am so thankful for where Libby Rose will be going to school!

Since Libby can wear her braces, she needed bigger shoes. I scored these two pair for $18.02 at Payless (Jen taught me that Payless is the bomb). The Minnie Mouse shoes were $19.99, and the blue/pink shoes were $4.50 because of the B1G1 1/2 off sale. I then had $4 coupons off of each pair since I had to drive to another store... SO the blue pair of shoes were 50 CENTS!!!!!! WHAT?! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Libby Rose's braces fit well in her shoes and she has a little room to grow. :)

1 comment:

  1. Cilla, I am SO EXCITED about this post!!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! I'm so thankful for the positive feedback you got from all the therapists.
    You're so right, God knew all along. It's so amazing to see His guiding hand when we look back! :)
    SCORE ON THE SHOES!!!! That's freaking awesome!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete