Monday, September 2, 2013

Our Journey with Libby

Our precious Libby Rose has been home for almost 2 months now, and we're soaking in every minute of it! Libby Rose is learning new things all the time from new words to signs! We're working on getting things squared away so we can start with speech, occupational, and physical therapies. I know she's going to excel so much!!! It's been very eye opening to see things from a parent's perspective as opposed to a teacher's perspective. Parenting a child with some special needs is challenging at times, but I'm VERY THANKFUL for her and wouldn't change a SINGLE THING about my perfect girl. I've always had a heart for children with special needs so when things were said slamming a child with special needs, I would get defensive. Now that my Libby Rose is here, I find myself wanting to scream at some people for the comments they make. Libby's left arm and leg don't function as easily as mine or Charlie's do, among other delays she is faced with. Within a month, we were faced with hurtful comments. I'm praying that Libby doesn't pick up on it at all, but I know she responds to her daddy and mama's emotions. We're doing our best to ignore the sheer ignorance of rude people. I'm also guilty about saying things and not meaning to hurt someone, but I'm trying to think a lot more before I speak. Words are hurtful and stick around for a while. Though we've had to deal with the above yucky stuff, Libby Rose has been welcomed home with open arms by so many!!! She's definitely spoiled already by quite a few, but we love it! She's loving being a part of a big family and loves her cousins a lot! She's especially smitten with Carter!; she watches him like a hawk, and he's very protective of her. I love that sweet boy! Libby loves going to FBC Chickamauga. It's like she's always been with us. In other news, here is the word list: Bye, Mama, Dada, mowa=more-also signs, peesh=please-also signs, gaga=phone(no clue why, it just does), indacaa=in the car(PHRASE!!!!). She will use more and please together with phone or in the car. We'll try to keep updating the blog! I have a feeling it will be easier once we can share pictures. :) This should happen sometime in October!

2 comments:

  1. yay!!!! Colt says "mowa" too! It's so cute!! I love her already. I hope to meet her face to face soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO GREAT! I've been thrilled to see all the updates on Libby's progress (thank you Facebook!) and just the joy she has brought to your family of (finally) three. I'm so glad God has given you the heart for this little girl. Just like many before you, you will now be able to encourage others in how to deal with ridiculous questions and hurtful words that adoptive parents seem more prone to face. God will give you the strength. I know that your daughter is beautiful! I am SO SO SO HAPPY she is home!!!

    ReplyDelete